Monday, March 22, 2010

Childhood Revisited...

I believe the art of persuasion is learned at a remarkably young age. I became somewhat of a pro in my early years living in Colorado. The stakes were high then. Every time we stopped at the U-Pump-It gas station a few blocks from our house, I was given the opportunity to test my skills. Inside that little store awaited rows of sugary treats that were just impossible to ignore with their colorful, shiny packaging. My dad was the easiest to convince. I think I would even offer to help pay for my treat most of the time, eluding to some sort of "beyond my years" responsibility. When I got the OK, I would stand there carefully selecting my prize. Usually I went for one of three classics, Butterfinger, Skor Bar, or Mounds.
This memory came rushing back to me as I carefully blended organic coconut with local honey and spread it over a warm puddle of dark chocolate this morning. Look at me, all grown up and still looking for that Mounds bar. It's easier now, no persuading dad. In fact, if he were visiting, he may have been the one encouraging me to fix this one. So here you are grown up children, a blast from the past. . .




Enlightened Mounds:
*2-4 oz high quality dark chocolate, 70% or higher
*1 1/4 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
*1 tsp. honey
*pinch sea salt





I started with flaked coconut and blended it in the food processor, but you can easily purchase shredded coconut instead.
Mix the coconut, salt and honey in a bowl using your fingertips. Blend thoroughly. Set aside.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and set over a double boiler to melt. You can also just place a metal bowl over a small saucepan with a small amount of boiling water. Melt chocolate. Allow to cool slightly. Pour out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment in one pool. Allow to slightly set up, about 10 minutes. Gently spread the coconut mixture over the chocolate. Fold half of the unused parchment over the coconut and gently press to create a uniform top. Place in fridge to set up completely before cutting into bite sized squares. Enjoy the memories.


1 comment:

  1. yummy! can't wait to try this one, loves me a mounds too ; ) thanks rach!

    ReplyDelete