Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Pumpkin Bread!

My fellow foodie friend Virginia knows how to do things the southern way. Large weekend breakfasts with plenty of homemade dishes such as her french toast casserole (my favorite of hers), greens, biscuits, free flowing coffee, and ample hospitality. Years ago when I was searching for a good banana bread recipe, all I had to do was request one from her. She gave it to me on a beautiful post card photo of old tea pots. Every time I go to the recipe box, this one jumps right out.
This morning, with a hankering for banana bread, but no bananas, I used a can of organic pumpkin instead. A great start to a rainy Sunday.

Sunday Pumpkin Bread: Adapted from Virginia Allen's Post Card Recipe
*1 cup AP flour
*1 cup whole wheat flour
*1/2 cup butter, room temp
*1/2 cup organic brown sugar or honey
*2 eggs, beaten
*1/4 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. baking soda
*pinch ground cloves
*1/2 tsp. cinnamon
*pinch ground ginger
*1 15 oz can organic pumpkin


Grease a 9x5'' loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Beat together the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl. Stir in the eggs and then the pumpkin. Gently fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until fully blended. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about an hour "or until your poking device comes out clean". Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

*For a gluten free version, substitute the flour with Pamela's Baking Mix, and leave out the salt and baking soda.*

2 comments:

  1. I love it when "my poking device comes out clean" as well. Pumpkin bread sure sounds tasty. Much love. WR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ole Willy Rice must be a little punchy these days. "Laugh out loud" on that one. And yes, pumpkin bread sure sounds good right about now. I could go for a little something sweet. The whoopie pies got polished off yesterday and I am thinking I might need to go ahead and make another batch for some Hot springs birthdays that are coming up. I'll have to give you that recipe- it's majorly "dirty."

    ReplyDelete