Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Goat Curry


Back in the Spring, I had a very nice conversation with Walter from Imladris Farm on the subject of goats. I recalled my dealings with goats in the past, one in particular who always got his head stuck in the fence, and I seemed to constantly be prying him loose. Walter smiled and nodded knowingly.
Thing is, goats are great for many things. Yes, they can get themselves into dilemmas easily, but they work wonders clearing land for pasture, and certain breeds produce some of the creamiest milk around. They are also good for eating. Not being picky eaters themselves, goats are able to turn a diet of pasture, twigs and forage into very palatable meat.
Walter recently brought his harvest to market where I was waiting with open arms.
After marinating the pieces of meat in lime and spices, they were ready for a slow simmer in coconut milk and curry. This was a memorable dish. Slow food in its prime.

Goat Curry:
*1 pound goat stew meat
*1 lime
*3-4 tsp Indian curry powder
*black pepper
*2 Tbsp butter
*1 large sweet onion, sliced
*3 garlic cloves, minced
*3 celery stalks, chopped
*3 medium gold potatoes, cut into chunks
*13.5 oz coconut milk (or one can)
*13.5 oz water or stock
*sea salt
*1 large crown locally grown broccoli, chopped
*cilantro for garnish (if you still have it in your garden)

Rinse and dry goat meat. Place in a medium bowl. Squeeze juice from half of the lime over meat. Add 1 tsp curry powder, some sea salt and pepper, and gently toss with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 2-6 hours (or overnight).
Place a heavy pot over medium heat. Sear goat meat until well browned. Add the butter, onion, potatoes and celery. Stir. Then add the garlic and remaining curry powder. Allow to cook for about five minutes stirring often before pouring in the coconut milk and water. Stir. Season with sea salt and pepper. Bring liquid to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 2-3 hours. Add the broccoli and remaining lime juice, plus the zest from one half a lime about 10 minutes before serving. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more curry if necessary. Top with fresh garden cilantro.
Serve over well soaked and cooked brown rice.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. I have been wanting to try to cook goat meat as I love it at the Jamaican restaurants. This recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend just told me yesterday that she could sell me an entire goat for about $170, but I've never had goat meat before, and I'm concerned it might be kind of gamy or musky. What does it taste like? (Looks great!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised how neutral and pleasant the meat is. Not at all what I would have expected.
    Not sure if on its own it would have been more gamey, I have not tried any other cuts. But the slow cooking and spices resulted in very tender and delicious meat. I love the idea of getting a whole goat. If you get a wild hair, I'm sure it would be a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete