Friday, March 5, 2010

Dark Chocolate Coconut Brownies. . .

Here is a chewy brownie with more dark chocolate and less refined sugar than the usual suspects! I used unrefined coconut oil in place of butter to compliment the chocolate, and only 2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten. The result: coconutty, chocolaty, not too heavy, feel-good brownies. Great for a snow day!

Dark Chocolate Coconut Brownies:
*4 oz dark chocolate, 60-70%
*6 Tbsp unrefined organic coconut oil
*heaping 1/4 cup flour
*pinch sea salt
*2 eggs
*2 Tbsp honey
*1/2 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 8x8 baking pan with some coconut oil. Melt coconut oil and chocolate over a double boiler. Whisk together. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with honey and vanilla. Slowly add the chocolate mixture to egg mixture. Whisk. Fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake until brownies puff, about 15 minutes. They will look a little cakey at first. Allow to cool completely, any puffiness will fall out. Cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.

Note* Lauric acid present in coconut oil and mother's milk, is a fatty acid high in antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Tropical cultures have relied on coconut for centuries to support optimum health and safeguard against many warm climate aliments from parasites to disease.*

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious Rachel! I will have to give them a try next time a chocolate craving strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I came across this blog, but I have been reading for a while now, and I wanted to take the time to let you know that this particular recipe is now something I make very frequently, and I've found so many others I love here. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete