Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grits with Spring Garlic!

If I were to create a "Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Living in the South" list, grits would hover toward the top.
When I was young, my step-grandmother's mother, Mrs. Benson, would sit me down in front of a steamy bowlful every time we visited her in Ohio. I was in awe of this woman for having the insight and love to serve me such a wondrous dish. I later learned that Mrs. Benson was from Western North Carolina. No wonder I felt such a kinship with her. She was a wise soul.
Perhaps those early bowls of creamy grits blazed a trail in my young heart, leading me straight for southern land. Who knows. What I do know, is that grits tend to work in mysterious ways.


Grits with Spring Garlic:
*1 cup artisan grits
*4 cups water
*3 Tbsp. butter
*sea salt and pepper to taste
*3 stalks spring garlic


Bring water to a rolling boil in a medium pot. Whisk in the grits and reduce heat to low. Add the butter, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure grits do not stick to the bottom of the pot.

Meanwhile, rinse the spring garlic. Slice the white and light green portions. Saute in a bit of butter over medium heat until tender. Set aside.
Add the garlic to grits about 10 minutes before removing from heat. Allow to cool slightly before serving so you do not risk burning your mouth on the first creamy bite.

1 comment:

  1. We keep it in the freezer for "safe storage" at all times!!! Indeed a good reason to live in the South!!!So yummy..Follow the wise souls!!

    ReplyDelete