Sunday, May 2, 2010

Local Honey and Dijon Glazed Salmon with Button Mushrooms. . .

I have always fantasized about owning a boat and being out on the water for a living. Maybe in some remote town off the coast of Maine, or among the majestic beauty of Alaska's wilderness. I would spend most of my time catching fish and whittling little animal figurines out of soft wood when I got bored. It's my pretend life.
In real life, I "catch" my Alaskan meals from a woman who goes by Captain Heidi, or The Salmon Guy (Robbie). They are the real deal, fishing the Alaskan waters part of the year, flash freezing their fresh catch, and bringing it back to the east coast for people like me who can't get enough!
I am grateful for people like Robbie and Heidi. Their hard work makes it possible for others to eat the freshest wild salmon without baiting any hooks. Not that I mind flirting with the idea!


Local Honey and Dijon Glazed Salmon with Button Mushrooms:
*1 wild salmon fillet
*handful button mushrooms, quartered
*1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
*1 Tbsp olive oil
*1 garlic clove, pressed
*1 tsp fresh grated ginger
*1 1/2 tsp local honey
*salt and pepper

Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking dish with parchment.
Mix the mustard, olive oil, garlic, ginger, honey and salt and pepper in a small bowl until all ingredients smoothly blend together. Set aside.

Rinse and dry fillet. Place to one side of dish. Arrange the mushrooms alongside. Coat fillet and mushrooms with glaze, tossing the mushrooms with your fingertips.
Place dish on the bottom rack of oven. Broil until mushrooms begin to brown and fish is just underdone (it will continue to cook a bit after you remove it from heat).
Serve with greens and toast to your Captain!






Raw honey from our wonderful beekeeping next door neighbor, Kathy. So good in this marinade or right off the spoon.










1 comment:

  1. It is 8:23 on Sunday morning and I am cracking up thinking of you tossing the mushrooms around with your fingertips. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete