Friday, February 5, 2010

Golden Beet Slaw

I recently read in Dr. John Douillard's Ayurvedic newsletter how great raw beets are for digestion. He discusses how many of us have a hard time digesting certain foods, but with a little help from beets for instance, you can jump start your system. He says, "If you can eat one beet a day for three months, you will help cleanse your liver and allow your stomach to fire up that (digestive) furnace."
I like this idea because it is easy and delicious. So, I have begun my digestive furnace regime. In other words, another tasty dish to feel good about. This raw salad is ultra refreshing, a bit like taking a quick dip in a spring fed lake. A little tingly, crisp, and packs enough punch to really wake you up.

Golden Beet Slaw:
*1 small golden beet, or red beet
*1/4 large carrot
*1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
*1/2 tsp. olive oil
*1 tsp chopped fennel leaves
*small squeeze of lemon
*small squeeze of orange
*pinch of salt and pepper to taste

Peel the beet and carrot. Julianne the beet followed by the carrot. Toss in a medium sized bowl with remaining ingredients. Allow to marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
* This pretty slaw is good on fresh greens or as a nice contrast to a cooked dish, like black beans and rice.

2 comments:

  1. I bet you have a lot of time to work on your recipes this week! I got in a half day of work in Hot Springs... Missed yall yesterday. The babies are mind bogglingly gorgeous.
    ps I wont that beet stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! this looks great! I have been enjoying lots of beets these days. I have been fermenting like crazy and did a beet/parsnip mix. Yum kraut and ferments of all sorts! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete